Moyne Castle stood on the
Black River and was surrounded by six quarters of castle
lands. It is a massive square tower, with a spiral
David MacJonyn (Jennings) Blake was owner in 1574, and Ulick,
Earl of Clanricarde, then got it by confiscation in 1585.
Richard, his successor, got a re-grant of the castle, and
four quarters of land in 1610.
George French was occupant in 1678, and in 1683
Thomas Blake got it on lease from William Earl of Clanricarde. The Blakes
retained it until 1750, when they moved to Merlin Park (Galway City).
Martin K. Blake
resided there until 1838, when it was let to Patrick Henry Lynch, who - was
regarded as a "millionaire."
This gentleman, afterwards resided at Strand
Hill, near Cong, and was long a "Sunday man." He was father of Henry M. Lynch
one of the defendants in the very protracted law suit of Lynch v. Clerkin
(1898-1901), also of Julia Lynch, the Ballinrobe nun, who founded convents in
America. The Blake interest was sold in 1853 to Joseph Burke and Paul Ward .