Shrule Castle, on the Black river at the Mayo
border, was part of a manor granted by
Richard deBurgo to
his son John in 1308.
This strong construction was erected about
1238, and had an uneventful history down to 1570, when it
was captured by Sir Edward Fitton and a strong British
force, who on this trip took all the castles of Kilmaine.
The De Burgos and McDonnells came to the rescue of Burke of
Shrule, broke and pursued the English army, but the eventual outcome of the battle was
The Saxons kept the field, and with cajolery
and treachery held it as far as the Kilmaine chiefs were concerned. Fitton
himself was wounded. Wm. Burke occupied the castle, in 1574; John, his son, in
1610; Richard Burke, the Earl of Clanricarde, got the castle and lands to the
extent of four quarters about this time, and leased them to
Pierce Lynch of
Galway. The massacre of Shrule in 1641 has already been referred to.